Blog

Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica,Viet Nam

Cathedral of Notre Dame de Saïgon, officially known as the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Saïgon, officially known as the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Saïgon. She is the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Ho Chi Minh City, one of the unique architectural works of Saigon, the destination of domestic and foreign tourists, the characteristics of tourism in Vietnam.

History
First church
Shortly after the capture of Saigon, France set up churches for the celebration of the Mass for Catholics. The first church was built in the street No. 5 (now Ngo Duc Ke street). This is a small temple of the Vietnamese deserted by the war, Father Lefebvre remodeled this temple into a church. Because the first church was so small, in 1863, Admiral Bonard decided to start building elsewhere a wooden church on the banks of the “Great Sutra” (also known as the Charner, rep. of the Republic of Vietnam). Lefebvre celebrated its first stone-laying ceremony on March 28, 1863. The wooden church, completed in 1865, was originally called the Saigon Cathedral. Later, due to the wooden church was damaged because of termites, the ceremony was held in the room of the old Governor’s Palace, later converted to Lasid Taberd school, until the church was built.

Second church
In August 1876, the Southern Governor Duperré organized a new church design examination. Overcoming 17 other blueprints, J. Bourard’s architectural style with Roman architectural style mixed with the Gothic style chosen. Initially, the proposed site was in three places:
On the old Truong Thi platform (now the corner of Le Duan and Hai Ba Trung streets, the location of the French Consulate).
In Kinh Lon (at the old church, now Nguyen Hue).
Current location.
Finally, the current location has been selected. After the design proposal was chosen, Admiral Duperré offered to bid for the construction of the church and the architect himself was the winner and directly supervised the project. All materials from cement, steel to screws are from France. Particularly, the exterior of the building is made of tiles made in Toulouse (France), bare, no plaster, no dust moss that is still fresh pink color.
On October 7, 1877, Bishop Isidore Colombert placed the first stone in front of the Vice Marshal of Cochinchina and had enough senior figures. The church was built in 3 years. Easter, April 11, 1880, the dedication and inauguration of Colombert’s solemnity was held in the presence of the governor of Cochinchina Le Myre de Vilers. At present, on the upper pedestal, inside the church door, there is a marble plate in the transept marked the date of commencement, the day of inauguration and the name of the engineer. All costs of construction, interior decoration are covered by the Cochinchina, with the amount of 2.5 million French francs at that time. Initially, the church was called the State Church because it was built by the French government and managed. In 1895, the church built two bell towers, each tower 57.6 m high and 6 large copper bell.At the top of the tower is a cross of 3.50 m high, 2 m wide, 600 kg. Overall height from the ground to the top of the cross is 60.50 m.
Statue of Bishop Adran and Prince Canh, in front of the church
Statue of Bishop Adran and Prince Canh, in front of the church
In the flower garden in front of the church, in 1903, the French built the bronze statue of Pigneau de Béhaine (also known as Bishop of Da Loc or Bishop of Adran, who was Adrian’s bishop) Long). The monument consists of a circular red marble pedestal and a statue of Bishop Adran with the bishop’s dress, with the left hand guiding Prince Canh.A bronze statue, cast in France, the so-called “two-figure” statue of the time, was a statue of the French Navy Admiral Genouilly on the Me Linh site. This is the end of Hai Ba Trung Street, near the bank of Saigon River. In 1945, this statue was destroyed by the independent government Tran Trong Kim, but the marble turret is still there without any statue on top.
Notre Dame Cathedral
Statue of Our Lady of Peace and two church bell towers
Statue of Our Lady of Peace and two church bell towers
In 1958, Father Joseph Pham Van Thien (now a bishop of Phu Cuong diocese, now deceased) ruled the Saigon parish at that time and commissioned a Statue of Our Lady of Peace in Carrara white marble. of Italy. The statue carved in Pietrasanta is about 500 km from Rome. When the statue was completed, it was taken down to the Oyanox ship on January 8, 1959 from the port of Gênes carrying the statue to Vietnam and to Saigon on February 15, 1959. Société d’Entreprises then erected a statue of the German Mother on the pedestal that was left vacant since 1945 before the church.Parish priests write prayer prayers “May the Lady for Vietnam be peaceful” and read in front of many guests were present that day. The next day, Cardinal Aganian from Rome to Saigon to preside over the closing ceremony of the National Congress, blessed the statue in the afternoon of February 17, 1959. From this event, from which the church It is called Notre Dame Cathedral. On December 5, 1959, the Holy See approved an anointing ceremony to mark the basilica of the Saigon Cathedral. From there, the official name of the cathedral is the Basilica of Our Lady of Saigon. In 1960, the Holy See established Vietnamese clergy with three archbishops in Hanoi, Hue and Saigon.The church became the cathedral of the archbishop of Saigon to this day.
Statue of Bishop Adran and Prince Canh, in front of the church
Statue of Bishop Adran and Prince Canh, in front of the church
In the flower garden in front of the church, in 1903, the French built the bronze statue of Pigneau de Béhaine (also known as Bishop of Da Loc or Bishop of Adran, who was Adrian’s bishop) Long). The monument consists of a circular red marble pedestal and a statue of Bishop Adran with the bishop’s dress, with the left hand guiding Prince Canh.A bronze statue, cast in France, the so-called “two-figure” statue of the time, was a statue of the French Navy Admiral Genouilly on the Me Linh site. This is the end of Hai Ba Trung Street, near the bank of Saigon River. In 1945, this statue was destroyed by the independent government Tran Trong Kim, but the marble turret is still there without any statue on top.